Friday 5 June 2009

Weekend Workshop #1

Before we start can I just ask Michaela from cardheaven.blogspot, please email at cardkabin@talktalk.net asap, thank you

This is the place to come for all hints, tips, tutorials and Q&A's. We will be here every Friday for the coming weeks and we would love your input, this is after all a blog for all ProMarker lovers. We know from the feedback so far that you all have questions and have hints and tips yourself, so we would love to hear from you, if you email either Gina or Denise with questions, tutorials, hints, tips, ideas, we would really love to share them with everyone. Each week we will be having a selection of your ideas, so long as we get some that is :) even if you are improving your skills, we would love to see your images and colours used.

Today we are starting with the basics - we have had so many questions on what card we use and what ink, so we are starting at the beginning

BASICS

INK USED:


Most of the DT are of the same opinion the best ink to use is "Memento Tuxedo Black" it leaves a crisp impression and there is no bleeding. Another favourite is Impress Ink, which a couple of the DT use, and it is also cheaper than the Memento. A further choice is Stampin Up inks, you do need to use a waterbased inkpad, if it is alcohol based (e.g Stazon) it just reacts with the proMarkers and bleeds.

CARD USED:

Ok this one is a bit more tricky, everyone in the DT uses something different, so I will give you a few choices -
IQ Smooth from Staples (Reasonable price, good to stamp and colour on)
Whisper White from Stampin Up
Concord index card from Caboodle.co.uk but it does bleed if you're heavy handed with the promarkers
Very smooth off-white card from papermill (colours blend well and take a bit longer to dry ...more time to play, only slight bleed but fine if don't saturate too much and its reasonably priced)

SKIN COLOUR USED:

Again everyone in the DT has there own choice on colours used for skin, but the most popular colours to use are -

Ivory and Dusky pink
Blush and Dusky pink
Ivory and Blush

DARK SKIN COLOUR USED:

Terracotta (for cheeks and shadows) dusky pink (for highlights)and cinnamon for everywhere else
Sandstone, Dusky Pink for shadow, Pastel Pink or Coral for blush.
All the DT are still experimenting with Dark skin, so once we have more colours we will let you all know

BROWN HAIR:

Sandstone, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Umber & Burnt Umber or a combination of Cinnamon, cocoa, umber, henna, burnt umber, if you experiment with these colours you should get a mix that suits you best

BLACK HAIR:

Again there were varied choices for black hair - here are a few for you to experiment with.

Ice grey 1-5 + touch black
Black and Warm Grey 1-5
Warm Grey 2 Umber, and a touch of Black.

BLONDE HAIR:

Varied choice again from the DT, here are a selection of what colours they use -

Lemon, Pastel Yellow, Canary.
Primrose, lemon, canary, mustard, gold.
Vanilla, sandstone, mustard
Mustard, Gold, Vanilla, anything light
Pastel Yellow/Ivory, Vanilla, Sandstone. For touch more warmth add a little Raw Sienna.

Well I think that is enough for to get you going this weekend, try combining the colours and if you come up with anything better let us know. Without you we can not do it :)

NEXT WEEK on Weekend Workshop -

How to's on Colouring Hair and Skin
How to use blender
Your questions answered

Don't forget the Challenge this week is Pastel Pink and Apple, you have until Tuesday at 9am to join in the fun. All the colours for the next few weeks are on the sidebar together with labels for all workshops.

Hugs
Gina and Denise xxx

15 comments:

Kim. said...

Excellent, you have certainly answered a few things for me with regards to the different papers used and colours for different areas.
Can't wait for next weeks instalement now lol.
Now hoping my new pens turn up tomorrow or I won't be able to play along this week.
Thanks ladies.
Kim xXx

Michelle said...

THis is FANTASTIC thank you soooooo much. has helped me heaps for chosing the next set of colours I want to get. Thank you very much to all the DT for their input with the workshop iot's very much appreciated
Huggles
Michelle
xxxx

Jules said...

Thank you so much for this.

There is so much I need to learn and so much I have learnt already from just one blog post.

I have always used Stazon ink - but left it to dry for ages before colouring with my Promarkers.

But of course sometimes you don't have time to wait ages and I have coloured "around" the Stazon ink. Especially around eyes etc.

Your posting has been really useful - thank you.

I have clearly been using the wrong ink and need to purchase some Momento Tuxedo Black.

These are the basics for experts like yourselves but are just the thing us "newbies" need to learn.

Thank you for taking the time to teach those who want to learn. Very, very much appreciated.

Love Jules xx

Jules said...

Thank you so much for this.

There is so much I need to learn and so much I have learnt already from just one blog post.

I have always used Stazon ink - but left it to dry for ages before colouring with my Promarkers.

But of course sometimes you don't have time to wait ages and I have coloured "around" the Stazon ink. Especially around eyes etc.

Your posting has been really useful - thank you.

I have clearly been using the wrong ink and need to purchase some Momento Tuxedo Black.

These are the basics for experts like yourselves but are just the thing us "newbies" need to learn.

Thank you for taking the time to teach those who want to learn. Very, very much appreciated.

Love Jules xx

pinky said...

Thanks so much for doing this, its excactly the help I need.
Pinky

Merry said...

This info is brilliant...I will definetly be back. Thanks heaps.

Annie said...

Brilliant useful stuff - thank you so much.

I use Bristol Board and have found that really good.

Great tips on the colours - I'm going to copy and print so that I can refer to it when crafting.

Ann xxx

WeirdCat said...

I am looking forward to next weeks tips now I see a blender mentioned, have never quite got how to use them, thanks for this weeks, will have a play

Karen said...

This is brilliant ladies, thank you so much. I'm looking forward to more installments.I've not been using PMs very long and bought a blender pen with my last purchase, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks again!

Karen x

LISA said...

thanks for the tip on what ink to use, off to buy a new one now lol

Maggie Bob said...

Thanks for the advice on inks, suppose I'll have to put my stazon to one side and invest in some Momento. Also, thanks for the advice on colouring black hair, I've been playing around with it, so good to have some guidance.

Looking forward to tips on blending!

xx

rozzyb said...

Thanks so much for all this useful info, its really appreciated... I've only recently started to use promarkers, but have been building up my collection fast...
Great info to start with, I keep experimenting with papers/card and must admit I even tried the letraset bleedproof paper that was recommended on the site I first bought some pens from, but I dont like the results. the ink seems to 'pool'/ 'puddle' as it dries. May be I'm ding something wrong!!
I am getting better results with Concord or some bright white I bought from a store selling pick n mix card... they must have wondered why I wanted a full box of white!!
Can't wait until the next instalment
hugs rozzy xx

crafty amy said...

This is such a great idea thank you soo much I can't wait to see next weeks. I still have so much to learn about using these.

X Amy X

Ruth said...

This info is a great help..keep it coming! Ruth x
PS I have e-mailed you and the answer is "Yes!"

Karen said...

Hi Girls
There's a little something for you over on my blog.
xx